To determine if 2 practitioners of differing skill levels could reliably agree on the presence of a weak or strong deltoid or psoas muscle.
Interexaminer reliability study of 2 common muscle tests.
Main Outcome Measures
Cohen κ (unweighted) scores, observer agreement, and 95% confidence intervals (CIs).
The results showed that an experienced and a novice practitioner have good agreement when using repeated muscle test procedures on the deltoid (κ 0.62) and the psoas (κ 0.67).
The manual muscle test procedures using the anterior deltoid or psoas showed good interexaminer reliability when used by an experienced and a novice user. These techniques may be used between practitioners in multidoctor assessment/management programs.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical evaluator reliability for quantitative and manual muscle testing measures of strength in children.Muscle Nerve. 2001; 24: 787-793
- Expanding the neurological examination using functional neurologic assessment: part I methodological considerations.Int J Neurosci. 1999; 97: 61-76
- Expanding the neurological examination using functional neurologic assessment: part II neurologic basis of applied kinesiology.Int J Neurosci. 1999; 97: 77-108
- Muscle testing response to provocative vertebral challenge and spinal manipulation: a randomized controlled trial of construct validity.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1994; 17: 141-148
- Applied kinesiology unreliable for assessing nutrient status.J Am Diet Assoc. 1988; 88: 698-704
- Changes in strength over time among polio survivors.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 1059-1064
- Diagnosis of thyroid dysfunction: applied kinesiology compared to clinical observations and laboratory tests.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1984; 7: 99-104
- Dentistry and alternative therapy.N Y State Dent J. 1997; 63: 32-37
- Systems, DC, USA1981: 1-40 Applied kinesiology: basic procedures and muscle testing. Volume 1.
- Isokinetic muscle testing: is it clinically useful?.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 1994; 2: 221-225
- Review of the reliability and validity of myometry with children.Phys Occup Ther Pediatr. 2002; 22: 79-93
- Isokinetic evaluation of muscular performance: implications for muscle testing and rehabilitation.Int J Sports Med. 1994; 15: S11-S18
- A force/displacement analysis of muscle testing.Percept Mot Skills. 2000; 91: 683-692
- The clinical utility of force/displacement analysis of muscle testing in applied kinesiology.Int J Neurosci. 2001; 106: 147-157
- Test-retest-reliability and validity of the kinesiology muscle test.Complement Ther Med. 2001; 9: 141-145
- Clinical reliability of manual muscle testing. Middle trapezius and gluteus medius muscles.Phys Ther. 1987; 67: 1072-1076
- Interexaminer agreement for applied kinesiology manual muscle testing.Percept Mot Skills. 1997; 84: 539-546
- Reliability of manual muscle testing with a computerized dynamometer.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1990; 13: 72-82
- Relationship of manual muscle testing to objective strength measurements.Muscle Nerve. 1989; 12: 173-177
- Intrarater reliability of manual muscle testing and hand-held dynametric muscle testing.Phys Ther. 1987; 67: 1342-1347
- A broad range of forces is encompassed by the maximum manual muscle test grade of five.Percept Mot Skills. 2000; 90: 747-750
- The ability of male and female clinicians to effectively test knee extension strength using manual muscle testing.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1997; 26: 192-199
- Basic & clinical biostatistics.in: 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill, Boston2001: 334-343
- A review of the research papers published by the International College of Applied Kinesiology from 1981 to 1987.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1990; 13: 190-194
- Correlation of applied kinesiology muscle testing findings with serum immunoglobulin levels for food allergies.Int J Neurosci. 1998; 96: 237-244
- Are chiropractic tests for the lumbo-pelvic spine reliable and valid? A systematic critical literature review.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2001; 24: 145-146
- Effects of an applied kinesiology technique on quadriceps femoris muscle isometric strength.Phys Ther. 1981; 61: 1011-1016
- Muscle test comparisons of congruent and incongruent self-referential statements.Percept Mot Skills. 1999; 88: 1019-1028
- Electromyographic effects of fatigue and task repetition on the validity of estimates of strong and weak muscles in applied kinesiological muscle-testing procedures.Percept Mot Skills. 1995; 80: 963-977
Accepted: October 1, 2003
Received: June 6, 2003
Sources of financial support: the ONE Research Foundation provided a grant to support this work.
© 2005 National University of Health Sciences. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.