The purpose of this systematic review and meta-analysis was to summarize the results related to the effects of corrective exercises on postural variables in individuals with forward head posture (FHP).
A systematic review of the electronic literature through February 2017 was independently performed by 2 investigators. The electronic databases searched included PubMed, MEDLINE, Web of Science, ScienceDirect, Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Clinical Trials, Google Scholar, and Scopus. Methodological quality was evaluated using the Physiotherapy Evidence Database scale. Meta-analyses were carried out for craniovertebral angle (CVA), cranial angle (CA), and pain intensity.
Seven randomized clinical trials comprising 627 participants met the study criteria. The between-groups pooled random odds ratios for CVA, CA, and pain were 6.7 (confidence interval [CI] = 2.53-17.9, P = .0005), 0.7 (CI = 0.43-1.2, P = .2), and 0.3 (95% CI = 0.13-0.42, P < .001), respectively. No publication bias was observed. Level 1a evidence (strong) indicates exercise training can effectively modify CVA, and level 1b evidence (moderate) indicates exercise may improve pain but not CA.
The findings suggest that therapeutic exercises may result in large changes in CVA and moderate improvement in neck pain in participants with FHP. The precise nature of the relationship between FHP and musculoskeletal pain, and improvements in both after therapeutic exercise, remains to be established.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Incidence of common postural abnormalities in the cervical, shoulder, and thoracic regions and their association with pain in two age groups of healthy subjects.Phys Ther. 1992; 72: 425-431
- Video analysis of sagittal spinal posture in healthy young and older adults.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2009; 32: 210-215
- The effects of training and detraining after an 8 month resistance and stretching training program on forward head and protracted shoulder postures in adolescents: randomised controlled study.Man Ther. 2016; 21: 76-82
- The role of forward head correction in management of adolescent idiopathic scoliotic patients: a randomized controlled trial.Clin Rehabil. 2012; 26: 1123-1132
- The efficacy of forward head correction on nerve root function and pain in cervical spondylotic radiculopathy: a randomized trial.Clin Rehabil. 2011; 26: 351-361
- Relationships between sagittal postures of thoracic and cervical spine, presence of neck pain, neck pain severity and disability.Man Ther. 2010; 15: 457-462
- Trigger points in the suboccipital muscles and forward head posture in tension-type headache.Headache. 2006; 46: 454-460
- Head and cervical posture in patients with temporomandibular disorders.J Orofac Pain. 2011; 25: 199-209
- Assessment and Treatment of Muscle Imbalance: The Janda Approach.Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL2010
- Rehabilitation of the Spine: A Practitioner's Manual.2nd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2007
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Movement Impairment Syndromes.Mosby, St. Louis, MO2002
- Movement System Impairment Syndromes of the Extremities, Cervical and Thoracic Spines.1st ed. Mosby, St. Louis, MO2010
- Kinetic Control: The Management of Uncontrolled Movement.1st ed. Churchill Livingstone, Sydney, Australia2012
- Functional Training Handbook.1st ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2014
- Effects of a resistance and stretching training program on forward head and protracted shoulder posture in adolescents.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2017; 40: 1-10
- A randomized clinical trial assessing the efficacy of adding 6 x 6 exercises to self-care for the treatment of masticatory myofascial pain.J Orofac Pain. 2007; 21: 318-328
- Effectiveness of an exercise program to improve forward head posture in normal adults: a randomized, controlled 10-week trial.J Man Manipulative Ther. 2005; 13: 163-176
- Effects of scapular stabilization exercise on neck posture and muscle activation in individuals with neck pain and forward head posture.J Phys Ther Sci. 2016; 28: 951-955
- Effect of thorax correction exercises on flexed posture and chest function in older women with age-related hyperkyphosis.J Phys Ther Sci. 2015; 27: 1161-1164
- Deep cervical flexor training with a pressure biofeedback unit is an effective method for maintaining neck mobility and muscular endurance in college students with forward head posture.J Phys Ther Sci. 2015; 27: 3207-3210
- The effect of feedback respiratory exercise on muscle activity, craniovertebral angle, and neck disability index of the neck flexors of patients with forward head posture.J Phys Ther Sci. 2016; 28: 2477-2481
- Clinical effectiveness of a Pilates treatment for forward head posture.J Phys Ther Sci. 2016; 28: 2009-2013
- The efficiency of corrective exercise interventions on thoracic hyper-kyphosis angle.J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2014; 27: 7-16
- Physiotherapy Evidence Database 2017.(Available at:)Accessed February 17, 2017)
- Growth in the physiotherapy evidence database (PEDro) and use of the PEDro scale.Br J Sports Med. 2013; 47: 188-189
- Stroke rehabilitation evidence-based review: methodology.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2003; 10: 1-7
- Evidence-Based Medicine: How to Practice and Teach EBM.2nd ed. Churchill Livingstone, New York, NY2000
- Practical Meta-analysis.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2001
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- Publication and related bias in meta-analysis: power of statistical tests and prevalence in the literature.J Clin Epidemiol. 2000; 53: 1119-1129
- The effect of adding forward head posture corrective exercises in the management of lumbosacral radiculopathy: a randomized controlled study.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2015; 38: 167-178
- Photogrammetric assessment of upper body posture using postural angles: a literature review.J Chiropr Med. 2017; 16: 131-138
- Multidimensional diagnostic criteria for chronic pain: introduction to the ACTTION-American pain society pain taxonomy (AAPT).J Pain. 2016; 17: T1-T9
- Predictive factors for neck and shoulder pain: a longitudinal study in young adults.Spine. 2004; 29: 1662-1669
- Do psychological states associate with pain and disability in chronic neck pain patients?.J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2015; 28: 797-802
- Further studies of shoulder and neck pain and exposures in customer service work with low biomechanical demands.Ergonomics. 2002; 45: 887-909
- Outcome measures in chronic low back pain. Euro.Spine J. 2010; 19: 1484-1494
Published online: August 11, 2018
Accepted: February 12, 2018
Received in revised form: November 18, 2017
Received: July 10, 2017
© 2018 by National University of Health Sciences.